4. Into Darkness Due Thursday by 3:15 pm Points 100 Submitting a file upload File Types jpg New moon is Oct. 1st. That means you have a unique opportunity for a few days on either side of that date to photograph dark skies and stars. In the spirit of pre-visualizing, planning, and executing your photographs, your assignment is: 1. Find a landmark you’d like to photograph with stars and/or star trails behind it. 2. Download Stellarium from www.stellarium.org and use […]
3. Something Impossible Part Deux Now that you’ve experienced the purely analog side of special effects photography, you’re prepared to appreciate and enjoy the digital tools we have at our fingertips. Your assignment is similar to your previous one. Your final deliverable is the same: A RAW image, a processed JPG, and a conceptual sketch. However, this time you can use photoshop to manipulate your processed JPG beyond simple color correction. You can add and remove elements as you please. […]
There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
This assignment is for Digital Photography course (ART 2060) at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah taught by Alex Chamberlain. Smartphones and tablets were designed to help people communicate but often interfere. These personal devices often hinder personal communication. Photo 1 Smartphone and tablet users rarely notice what is going on around them. Photo 2 Work. Play. Learn. Communicate. Research. Consume. Sleep? Photo 3 Smartphones have consumed conversation at the dinner table. Photo 4 Minor distractions while driving can cause […]
8. The world in motion “Dream Bowl” Breakfast is an everyday struggle. After waking up, these two brothers battle it out for their first meal of the day. Who will be victorious? Starring Hudson and Hayden. A short film by Joseph Cowdell for a photography class at Dixie State University. This movie was made using a Canon 60D. It was edited with Adobe Premiere. No sweet potatoes were harmed during the making of this film. Requirements Your Assignment, should you […]
7. Land Ho! Landscape Requirements It’s time to focus on what our area offers in abundance: Landscape! Your final product for this assignment will be four images shot to include the following compositional techniques: One image with Steelyard composition https://500px.com/photo/48576006/the-matron-by-alex-chamberlain?from=user One image with ⅓ horizon composition One image with radiating lines (This CANNOT include bicycle spokes) One image with a compound curve (This CANNOT be a road) All of these images should be shot in early morning, or sunset light. […]
6. Introspection Now it’s time to make your first self-portraits. In some ways, this will be easier than your previous portraiture assignment, and in some, it will be harder. Part of the challenge will come into play as you attempt to assess what will express your own personality to others. It’s time to think outside of your own perceptions and be candid with yourself about what makes you tick and how you come across to others – especially how to […]
I took a photography course from Alex Chamberlain at Dixie State University in the Fall of 2015. This was my first “real” experience with night photography. Luckily, the city of Pine Valley, Utah has some of the darkest skies near my hometown of St. George, Utah. It is the perfect spot for me to practice my night photography. Night photography gives me an excuse to get away from it all and just listen to nature. Sometimes being alone with just […]